Update: Fast Metabolism Diet

So, I'm approaching the end of week 3 on the Fast Metabolism Diet (review: see below post!). And I'm quite happy with it. I haven't been able to completely eradicate caffeine (still need about 1/2 glass of green tea), but I feel nice and energized, not too hungry, and lost quite a bit of weight. Here's some stuff I've been eating:

Phase 1: 



Kale salad with spiced, grilled chicken (cumin, curry, cinnamon), kale, quinoa, and green peppers in a lemon/vinegar dressing with lots of garlic. Watermelon and pineapple. Steel cut oatmeal with strawberries and (spot the hidden mistake, yes, bananas - It was day 1 and I was young and didn't know better!). Blanched broccoli and radishes.

Phase 2: 


Chicken and veggie soup (yummy!). Tuna cucumber salad. Chilled radish salad,(once the radishes are cooked, they taste all different and almost potato-y, but definitely weird!). Blanched broccoli and oven baked fish. Egg white/mushroom/spinach/green pepper/onion mini quiches (yummy, but remember to squeeze out alllllll of the liquid from your spinach, otherwise bleh!). These freeze well! Oven roasted cauliflower with tamari. A yummy grilled chicken/grilled asparagus salad. A burger made with 93% lean beef, some tamari, minced onion and garlic, wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves.

Phase 3:


Yay fat! Avocado filled with finely chopped onion, tomato, garlic, jalapeno, mixed with a little homemade hummus. Homemade raw almond butter (I bought almonds at Trader Joe's and sent them through the coffee grinder - much cheaper than buying a jar of almond butter!). Sprouted grain toast (also from Trader Joe's) with said almond butter and sliced strawberries - heaven!

Two things to note

In the first week, I felt my heart rate going up, even when resting. After some googling, I saw some suggestions to add potassium to my diet. Not sure if it helped or if the problem went away on its own, but I had one pouch of Emergen-C Electro Mix per day, for a few days, and felt better. Also, although I drank water like a boss, my mouth has been super dry all the time. Adding some lemon juice to your water helps, but it's still annoying. I tried some Biotene Dry Mouth Gum which helped a little (but of course only while actually chewing the gum).

Things I bought specifically for this diet: 

Whole Foods: Newman's organic spelt pretzels (very satisfying for dipping into hummus!), tamari soy sauce, Arrowhead Mills puffed millet (tastes like popcorn! I have this for breakfast with rice or almond milk and some fruit like chopped apple, strawberries, pineapple, or blueberries), organic kale, jicama, Arrowhead Mills dried garbanzo beans for making my own hummus.

Trader Joe's: Raw almonds, Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, frozen mango pieces - these taste great when you eat them semi-thawed.

Comments

Pat said…
I just started on this diet and I love it. I've lost 6 lbs in 4 days.

Popular Posts