Kraft Werke

(get it? Works of Craft?) A little memory kickstarter for this and that, crafts and cooking, shoes, ships, sealing wax...

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Indian Lentil Curry


I realized I had some green lentils of dubious origins in my pantry, so I decided to use them for some sort of curry. Googling brought me to a post on this site (part of a forum on GardenWeb) that I adapted a little:

2 cups green lentils, soaked overnight
1 medium
onion, finely chopped

3 cloves of
garlic, finely chopped

1/2 piece of
ginger root, finely chopped

2 tsp
cumin seeds or powder

2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped (I used canned)
1 tsp each ground
cinnamon, cloves and black pepper

1 chopped jalapeno
pepper (I used very few red pepper flakes instead)

1/4 bunch chopped cilantro (
parsley here)

salt
to taste
4 tbsp cooking oil

Boil the lentils in water until tender (took about 20 minutes; do NOT add salt!).
In a separate pan, add the 4 tbsp of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and saute them until golden.
Then add the garlic and ginger and saute for another couple of seconds.
Add the tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cumin, ground spices and salt, and pour in the cooked lentils.
Let it cook for 30-40 minutes; garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with plain white rice (Basmati preferred, but I used brown). Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker